The Alcove is now open to all students, faculty, and staff. Come in any time!
The College Avenue Computing Center has just recently expanded into the Alcove, a new space in Records Hall. This facility moves NBCS in an exciting new direction - one in which students can access computers in comfort and collaborate together on projects. How OIT ended up moving in this new direction is a story of staff initiative, student involvement and cooperation among numerous parties throughout the university. [Get the complete story.]
The Alcove is designed to be a comfortable, computer-enhanced group learning space for students, staff and faculty.
- A conference room equipped with an interactive white board
- Round tables with plenty of workspace
- iMac computers at each table fully equipped with over 30 software programs
- Projection capabilities from in-house computers or from your laptop
- 46" Flatscreen TV's for presentations
- Plenty of plugs and RU-Wireless connectivity for your laptop
- Couches and lounge chairs
Computer Enhanced Collaboration
There are two rooms in the Alcove. The larger room can accommodate 18-25 students and is furnished with large tables, lounge chairs, and a couch. There are 18 seats at the tables, plus 7 lounge chairs and a small couch. Ideally, groups of 3 to 6 students at a time can work together discussing and perfecting their ideas. Instructors looking for a presentation space for a small class will also benefit from use of the Alcove. Each table can project to a nearby wall-mounted LCD display, so presentations can be viewed on a large screen.
As is evident from the lounge chairs, couch, and plants, this lab is designed to be roomy, comfortable, and eye-pleasing - the type of space students would not mind hanging out in for long periods of time to work on a lengthy project.
The back conference room is a private eight-person meeting space that contains a computer, wall-mounted monitor and interactive whiteboard that can be used to digitally record your brainstormed ideas.
Software & Technology
The Alcove has six 24" iMac workstations. 2 are located along walls directly under 46" Sony Bravia Flatscreen TV's which allow for projection of the desktop onto the TV's for enhanced group and collaborative work. The other 4 iMacs are located on two round tables with ample seating and space for a group to work on a project. These iMac workstation also project onto 46" Flatscreen TV's. Along with the iMac's each table is configured with VGA/Audio inputs to allow group members to connect their laptops for projection on to the TV's. Instructions for the use of laptops and the iMac workstations are provided at each table, along with a chanel guide for RU-TV.
The software that is installed on these machines is the same that is installed on all the other machines located with in Rutgers University OIT computer labs. For a list of software and class programs installed on these machines please click here.
To ensure that your request is processed promptly, please note the following:
- Reservations must be made atleast ONE week in advance.
- If you can not make a reservation one week in advance, you can sign up for a reservation in person on
the day that you would like use the lab.
- Teaching lab policies apply to the Alcove.
- List all times and date(s) needed. You must include the start and end time of your reservation request.
- For the conference room, your reservation must be for at least 4 people and cannot exceed 10 people
- For the larger lounge area, your reservation must be for at least 10 people and cannot exceed 25 people
Questions/comments regarding the NBCS computer labs can be directed to:
Questions/comments about this website can be directed to: